How to grow Styrax japonica -Japanese Snowbell- as bonsai
Japanese Snowbell at maturity is spherical shaped with distinct horizontal and somewhat zigzag branches. Their dark green leaves turn reddish or yellow in fall. Finally, a forgiving bonsai!
- White pendulous bell shaped flowers appear from May- June.
- Gray fruit comes by August.
- The smooth gray brown bark with interlacing orangish brown fissures make a dainty four season bonsai.
- July cuttings root readily.
- Full sun but shade tolerant.
- Responds well to water and fertilizer.
- Takes pruning well. Use directional pruning and bud selection.
- Root system thrives in a cool, moist substrate high in organic matter.
- Good horticultural practices translate to healthy bonsai as they thrive with every stage of growth.